Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 11, 2012

Daily Kos: Obama's statement - what my students thought

Daily Kos: Obama's statement - what my students thought:


Obama's statement - what my students thought

As it happens, we had explored the issues surrounding marriage equality in my two non-AP classes on Tuesday, given the VPs statement on Meet the Press, Duncan's statement Monday, and the vote in NC on Tuesday.   The notes I had on the board for those two classes were also up during my AP classes, which run consecutively periods 3-4-5-6  (the regular classes are 1 and 8), so while the AP students were doing something else, most had noticed the notes and a few had commented upon them.
Yesterday I asked all my students to imagine that they had been planning to vote this fall (even though only 4 are old enough and also citizens).  I asked how many would, before Obama's remarks to ABC, planned to vote for Obama.   It was the vast majority of my students.   I then asked these students how many would have changed their minds as a result of Obama supporting marriage equality.  Out of more than 150 students who would have supported Obama, it was only 2, both female and deeply religious, one black and one white.
There was one student who had not planned to support Obama who now would.  There was also one student who had not planned to vote who would now support Romney.  These two came from a total of perhaps six students.  None of the pro-Romney students, of whom there were only 7, changed their minds.
In other words, out of 165 young people ranging in age from 14 to 18, only three changed their positions as a result of Obama's declaration.
A couple of more remarks below the squiggle.


we discussed Mitt & Cranbook in 5 classes yesterday

yesterday.   I pointed out that there is a reason why we are not fully held responsible for things we did when we are young - our judgment is not fully developed.
I also said that I doubted there was anyone in the room who had not already done things of which, looking back, they were at least embarrassed if not ashamed.
I also said that I doubted we would ever forget them.
I share two from my youth.  As well as how my parents reacted.
The 1st was 5th grade.  A group of us guys were walking home.  We encountered Patty - a very pretty girl.  She had not paid attention to one of the boys.  He started making remarks.  Within a few moments she was circled, being taunted and pokes, several of them pulling on her clothes.  I am sure she was scared.  I was one of two just watching, but saying nothing.
When I got home I told my parents, who explained to me why I had a responsibility to speak up, reminding me


the time is getting close

as the school year winds down.
Our students are now about half-way through Advanced Placement examinations.
That will be followed by Maryland's High School Assessments in three subjects.
Seniors leave us soon, with graduation on the 29th.
And for those teachers retiring, we are now in the period of celebrations.
Yesterday after school, at a nearby Mexican restaurant, we have an informal gathering for two of those leaving.  One who arrived in the building the same time as I did has been in charge of teachers for the past few years.  The other is a foreign language teacher retiring after 40 years in the system.
Perhaps 70 or 80 people stopped by during the several hours.  That included a number of teachers who have themselves retired in the past few years.  It included our immediate past principal, now functioning at a county-wide level.  It included a former assistant principal now himself about to retire from his position as a principal at another school.  Family and some friend of the two retirees.  Much of our current faculty.
Most of hose no longer in the building know I am also retiring - several of them follow me on Twitter, or read my posts here through Facebook.   Many asked me what I am doing next year, and of course I do not yet know for certain.
We had conversations about how the school has changed.
We caught up with what those who have left are doing.
The most common words directed at me from those already retired was "congratulations!"
The time is getting close.
Those that can will stop by my own mini-celebration on May 30th.
June 11th I will walk out of the building for the last time.
Yes, indeed, the time is getting close.