Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Daily Kos: May 30, 1962

Daily Kos: May 30, 1962:


May 30, 1962

in those years, Memorial Day was still celebrated on the anniversary of the first Decoration of graves, both Union and Confederate, in Columbus MS in 1868.
Yet perhaps the most appropriate statement on war took place in another country, one untouched by our great fraternal conflict.
Here is the beginning:
Popout
And yet that setting of the traditional Latin text does not fully explain why this is a great masterpiece.  Consider 

Graduation

Today was Graduation Day for about 630 senior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt Maryland, the school that has been my home for 13 of the past 14 years, and from which I will be retired in 2 weeks.  This was my last retirement as a member of the staff, although I hope to show up for the next two to see the last of my students off.
This was an amazing class.  They won $26 million in scholarships.  I could list the many honors collectively and of the individuals.  It is special to me, since most of the officers of the class and the SGA and both the Valedictorian and Salutatorian were my students 2 years ago in AP Government.
As is my practice I helped line up a row of girls before they processed into the Comcast Center for the ceremonies, and then when they came out to get their real diplomas (they receive only the shell on stage, then come and pick up diplomas and various certificates alphabetically after the ceremonies) I stood at the exit to congratulate them.
But there was more.