Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: The long drive home

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: The long drive home:


The long drive home

Am I getting too old for these long road trips? I hope not. I just need more time to recover, that's all. I left Occupy the DOE yesterday to get back to work and family business. We drove straight back to Chicago in 12 hours. Lots of time to witness spring's colorful rebirth, listen to some great music and contemplate life in America's heartland.

But what you don't see out the car window is the bubbling up and anger and frustration people in both small towns and big cities are feeling over their steadily worsening economic conditions and their feelings of political powerlessness. The latter is driven by the steady erosion and selling off of public space and with it, public decision making. Which political force will capture this anger and how will it express itself in the upcoming elections is anybody's guess.

Occupy DOE organizer Morna McDermott
Occupy the DOE was part of a young, but growing movement to change all that. Taking part left me feeling at once, elated, encouraged, and frustrated. Elated as I always am when I get to spend time in the company of good people. The United Opt-Out