Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Just When I Almost Forget I Live in LA, the State Senate Slaps up a Reminder | The G Bitch Spot

Just When I Almost Forget I Live in LA, the State Senate Slaps up a Reminder | The G Bitch Spot:


Just When I Almost Forget I Live in LA, the State Senate Slaps up a Reminder

Limit to contract clauses proposed, The (Baton Rouge, LA) Advocate, 4/2/12
The headline is oddly flat and uninformative, considering what the bill was sparked by and is aimed at: anti-discrimination language in charter school contracts. I think the answer to this “dilemma” is that the organization or individual like Ms. Ellison who balks [or complains or sues] has no business running a publicly-funded school of any kind and should start a new private school, if that person should be in charge of the education and care of young people at all and I have deep doubts.
A state Senate committee approved legislation Thursday that would allow charter schools to refuse to admit students on the basis of their ability to speak English, their sexual orientation or other factors.
State Sen. A.G. Crowe, R-Slidell, said his bill is designed to ensure that executive branch agencies and local governments stop including bans on discrimination against characteristics not listed in state law as a condition for private companies to do business with their agencies.
The state Department of Education contracts with those seeking charter schools were the chief