Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The challenge of the introverted student - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

The challenge of the introverted student - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post:


The challenge of the introverted student

This was written by Mark Phillips, professor emeritus of secondary education at San Francisco State University. A version of this appeared on his blog on Edutopia. He also publishes a monthly column on education for the Marin Independent Journal.
By Mark Phillips
One of my teacher interns at San Francisco State University wrote a paper a few years ago that reminded me of what I occasionally missed as a teacher. The interns had been assigned to write a letter to their high school teachers advising them about how they might have better served them as students.
My student, Rich DeNagel, wrote:
“Ninth grade was probably the worst year of my life. My home life was in