Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Randi Weingarten: Fixing the Fixation on Testing

Randi Weingarten: Fixing the Fixation on Testing:

Randi Weingarten

GET UPDATES FROM RANDI WEINGARTEN




Fixing the Fixation on Testing


President Obama got high marks from teachers and parents when he said in his recent State of the Union address that schools should stop teaching to the test and instead give teachers latitude to teach with creativity and passion.

I immediately recalled times as a teacher when I thought my students learned the most. It wasn't when we were intensely preparing for the Regents exams or any other standardized tests. My students were most engaged during project-based learning, when they worked in teams and wrestled with complex topics, such as the decision to drop the atomic bomb during World War II. My proudest moment as an educator was watching my students compete in the We the People civics