Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Letter to Marquette Elementary School Teachers from a Former Colleague | The Classroom Sooth

A Letter to Marquette Elementary School Teachers from a Former Colleague | The Classroom Sooth:

A Letter to Marquette Elementary School Teachers from a Former Colleague

Recently I visited a teacher friend of mine who used to work at Marquette Elementary School on the southwest side of Chicago. Upon hearing the news that Marquette was to be turned around by AUSL, she felt compelled to write the following letter.

Adam

On Behalf of my Former Colleagues at Marquette Elementary,

I am a 2001 graduate of CPS, and Marquette Elementary was my introduction to teaching in the Chicago Public School system. In my time there, the most inspiring and helpful people were my fellow teachers. CPS’s decision to turnaround this school belittles and dismisses the fact that the faculty there is a hardworking and dedicated group and ignores the true needs of the community.

While there, I was surrounded by colleagues who arrived early and left late. Colleagues who used their