Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Reflection on School Year Goals #2 « Outside the Cave

Reflection on School Year Goals #2 « Outside the Cave:

Reflection on School Year Goals #2

At the beginning of the year, I set a number of goals for myself, one of which was to reflect on said goals every two months. My second set of reflections are in italics below.

Teaching

I will improve the way I give feedback to students. Formally, I hope to develop a system to give students feedback about writing that meaningfully a) tells students where they are, b) what they need to do to improve and c) is efficient enough that I can provide frequent and timely feedback to all students. I also need to make sure I am giving informal feedback more frequently to all students. (I hope that moving to a Standards Based Grading system will enable these things to happen organically).

At the end of the semester, I saw that a good chunk of students had changed how they went about trying to