Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 16, 2012

Des Moines Education Association: My Letter to Iowa Senate Education Committee Members

Des Moines Education Association: My Letter to Iowa Senate Education Committee Members:

My Letter to Iowa Senate Education Committee Members


Here is the letter I sent to the members of the Iowa Senate Education committee as they take up the Governor's education "reform" proposals. In this letter, I focused on the creation of "value added models" to our state education system. Make sure you are all advocating to your legislators early and often so they hear our voices! - A. Rasmussen, DMEA Executive Board

Dear Senator,

I am a veteran teacher of 17 years. I have devoted those years to teaching social studies to urban students in Des Moines, many of whom live in poverty. I am proud of my service to the