Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 21, 2011

An Urban Teacher's Education: Paradigm Shift

An Urban Teacher's Education: Paradigm Shift:

Paradigm Shift

In the past year, I've had a pretty significant paradigm shift in terms of my understanding of creating positive school culture.

In the first three years of my teaching career I believed a positive school culture was built primarily through a well-organized system of incentives and consequences for behaviors school staff understood to be appropriate. I remember being particularly impressed with a presentation my staff received when I worked at Renton High School by a guy who showed us his system for discipline. It included of a series of increasingly severe consequences for student misbehavior, opportunities for students to reflect on why they might have been a disruption to class, and rewards and praise for behaviors staff appreciated.

Although I'd always heard about natural consequences and inviting students to participate in creating their consequences (and always sort of thought that made sense), I don't think I really understood the guiding