Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 21, 2011

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: TEACHERS: Don't cannibalize, ORGANIZE

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: TEACHERS: Don't cannibalize, ORGANIZE:

TEACHERS: Don't cannibalize, ORGANIZE

I understand teachers are not normally political hounds, yet, sometimes I wish they were more aware of the who is really making the big decisions in our profession; for it's certainly not other teachers.

To illustrate my point, yesterday I attended a focus group at the Department of Education with other teachers from across the District. Being an art teacher, I have been luckily spared the weight and stress of standardized testing in my subject area. I am hoping this day never comes for that will be the day I find another career; and fast. In this crowd at the Department of education there happened to be two art teachers, me included, and when the conversation touched upon standardized tests some teachers began to spout