Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 19, 2011

Goals. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Goals. « Fred Klonsky's blog:

Goals.

I had a number of different jobs before I started teaching nearly three decades ago. None of them asked me what my professional goals were.

None of those jobs were what would be considered professional jobs. But I don’t think that’s why I wasn’t asked about my goals.

Do doctor’s get asked every year to write down their professional goals. Do lawyers?

It’s not as if the principal or anybody else actually looks at them.

I know one teacher who sends a xerox of her goals from the year before. Nobody notices if they changed or asks why.

It is kind of a mystery as to what they are looking for us to say anyway.

If they mean curricular goals, it is a rather cruel joke. There is less opportunity than ever to insert our own perspective and experience into the curriculum. Less time. More is centralized and test driven. “Consistency