Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 19, 2011

5 freedoms I enjoyed in school that my daughter won’t « MomsRising Blog

5 freedoms I enjoyed in school that my daughter won’t « MomsRising Blog:

5 freedoms I enjoyed in school that my daughter won’t

Posted September 19th, 2011 by Kerala Taylor

At six months pregnant, like most moms and moms-to-be, I’m finding plenty of things to worry about. When I’m not fretting over my daily calcium intake or environmentally friendly diaper options, I find myself plagued with anxiety about the longer-term realities of child rearing today.

I want to give my daughter the freedom I enjoyed as a child—freedom to move, imagine, and create. But in today’s paranoid, litigious, and test-happy culture, will I be able to? As kids across the country head back to school, and as I watch my belly swell, I’ve been thinking a lot about the freedoms I had in school that most kids these days don’t enjoy.

1. I had two recess periods every day. More and more kids are finding they have to rush through lunch to enjoy a precious few minutes of recess. Some kids aren’t getting any recess at all, despite the overwhelming body of evidence that shows kids need recess to focus in the classroom. This child sums it up perfectly: “I get this



Read more: http://www.momsrising.org/blog/5-freedoms-i-enjoyed-in-school-that-my-daughter-won%e2%80%99t/#ixzz1YP8i6970