Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 30, 2011

Daily Kos: doing something that matters

Daily Kos: doing something that matters:

doing something that matters

has always been important to me.

That is why I drove 6 hours to where I am, Grundy Virginia, for another round of volunteering in dental triage at a free dental and medical fair.

Other than teaching this is the most important thing I do.

It reminds me how little awareness many of us have of the reality of the lives of the one in five Americans who live in rural areas. We may be aware of the urban poor, but rural poverty is in many ways worse.

It will be in part heartbreaking to be here - I will see people in the 30s getting all remaining teeth pulled.

It will be spiritually uplifting as well - I will be doing something that matters, I will be deepening my connection with the rest of humanity.