Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Now, Go Make It Happen « Cooperative Catalyst

Now, Go Make It Happen « Cooperative Catalyst

Now, Go Make It Happen

I’m in the process of rearranging my classroom and taking it back to my Kindergarten roots–comfy areas, lots of hands on stuff (with magnifying glasses nearby) to fiddle with, engaging books all around and making sure there are caves, watering holes and campfire areas. I’ll post pics when finished, but I have spent QUITE a bit of time going through my 9 bookshelves and the memories of read-alouds have been an awesome experience.

Yesterday I re-discovered The Spyglass–not one I’ve ever used specifically with kids, but one I provided for them to read at will. The book description is: “There once was a king who ruled over a darkened kingdom. Crops were planted and then failed, houses were built and then neglected, people were impoverished and dispirited. But when a traveler arrives at the crumbling palace, he shows the monarch his kingdom through the lens of an enchanted spyglass — a spyglass that shows him his kingdom not as it is, but as it could be. The king’s imagination is ignited by the spark of faith, and with faith comes hope and change. By sharing his vision and