Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 5, 2011

The digital natives are coming | Thoughts on Public Education

The digital natives are coming | Thoughts on Public Education

The digital natives are coming

Bernie Trilling explains the meaning of life....long learning
By Kathryn Baron

When my son was about four years old, we got him a children’s science program for the computer. I put in the disc and ran to the laundry room saying I’d be right back to boot it up. Minutes later I returned to find him sitting at the desk, legs dangling a foot off the ground, as he happily clicked the mouse and sorted animals into piles of mammals, reptiles, birds, and slimy things. Unfortunately, when he started school, technology pretty much stayed behind at home.

I was reminded of that incongruity yesterday, when