Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 5, 2011

Rejuvination « Outside the Cave

Rejuvination « Outside the Cave

Rejuvination

I must admit, I left the SOS March tired: of division, fighting, the fight, politics, and of people whose only interest in education is abstract, political, or both. I was ready to start sitting out the current education wars while I hone my craft, believing full well that the current popular interest in deforming education will wane, and that at some point in my career, be it 5, 10 or 20 years down the line, there would be an opportunity for real change that actually benefits students.

It was probably a good thing, then, that I didn’t come home after the march. Instead, I took a pit stop at Swarthmore College, where for the past week, along with sixteen other brilliant and passionate educators, I participated in an institute on teacher leadership in all its many forms led by professors of education from around the northeast. Leaving that experience and finally making it home, I cannot remember the last time I felt such