Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Anticipating the NBPTS Conference « InterACT

Anticipating the NBPTS Conference « InterACT

Anticipating the NBPTS Conference

This blog post was written a couple days ago at about 35,000 feet. The pre-conference sessions are now underway. Here’s what I was thinking as I was heading in.

As I write this entry I’m in a plane over the Midwest, en route to Washington, D.C., for the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) 2011 Conference. The conference theme is “Reboot! Teaching Transformed,” and of course the implication is that we should take a fresh look at our teaching and our field. The underlying need for a reboot on a computer could be positive or negative. The installation of new software or updates often requires a reboot, one that brings new and improved functionality to the computer. The reboot could also be the last remaining option when your computer freezes, crashes, or seems to be malfunctioning in some other way.

As a teacher, am I seeking to add functionality, or restore it? What about America’s schools? Upgrade, or escape dysfunction?

Individually, I can certainly say that I’m in a situation where I’m always looking to improve, and I have no doubt