Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A teacher’s thoughts on the NCTQ report « InterACT

A teacher’s thoughts on the NCTQ report « InterACT

A teacher’s thoughts on the NCTQ report

The Teacher is In

With 10 days left of school, 8th grade culmination on the horizon, final marks, writing a reform plan to addressdistrict sanctions due to low test scores, and fundraising for a 2012 student trip to Washington, the education reform debate has to take a back seat to daily life at my vibrant public middle school.

Last week, in between three 13 hour workdays, I would arrive home, soak my feet, and pull out the ol’ laptop and try to make sense of the developments in the debate, and the National Council on Teacher Quality report came across my feed. I skimmed the report, and surmised that by now, no one would be surprised at the findings considering who the funders were, the fact that the report was not peer-reviewed, and who the main cheerleaders