Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 17, 2011

School Tech Connect: A New Season Begins

School Tech Connect: A New Season Begins

A New Season Begins

Ok, first day of summer. I've been working in schools for a long time, and the school year that just ended was the first time I was neither a teacher nor administrator. I'm a school-year tech now.

fishermen at sunrise on Lake Michigan
I can only tell you that it's a pleasure not to be exhausted to the bone and feeling like a crime victim. I feel like a person with a regular stressful job, instead of the official scapegoat for everything wrong with America.

I taught 7-9 English for twenty-two years, and toward the end of that run, a principal told me that she was going to hold a "come to Jesus" meeting about my English department's seeming inability to push more kids over into "meets and exceeds." She was a nice person, so I didn't point out the administration's seeming inability to get control of the campus. But that was enough for me--I was tired, and I had already had the privilege of serving in an independent school, where none of this