Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back from the first day of the RA. Signs of resignation, opposition and goofiness. « Fred Klonsky's blog #NEARA11

Back from the first day of the RA. Signs of resignation, opposition and goofiness. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Back from the first day of the RA. Signs of resignation, opposition and goofiness.

I’m back from the first day of the NEA RA. For me it just consisted of a two-hour Illinois Caucus meeting.

There was nothing of substance done in the meeting. Just rules and protocols.

But the hallway discussion was full of resignation, opposition and just plain goofiness.

About the controversial Obama endorsement:

There will be no floor debate at the RA. There will be debate in the state caucus meetings and then a secret ballot vote. I can’t recall, but I’ve been told this is not new procedure. And somebody may challenge it from the floor of the RA. But I doubt that will get far.

Secret ballots votes can be tricky for leadership. Ten years ago NEA President Bob Chase thought he had the votes for the proposal to merge the NEA and the AFT. He barely got 30% in support of the merger in a secret ballot vote.

I’ve been told DVR needs 58% to endorse. I’m a betting man, but I wouldn’t bet on the outcome of that vote