Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 9, 2011

Talking about School Reform and Feeling Depressed | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Talking about School Reform and Feeling Depressed | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Talking about School Reform and Feeling Depressed

A few weeks ago, I was invited to speak to a group of Stanford University graduate students who were completing a joint Masters’ degree in education and business administration.

Many of the 18 students sitting around a seminar table had taught a few years in urban schools through Teach for America. Those who had no direct experience in schools had worked for consulting firms with contracts in major urban districts. Smart, savvy about organizations and passionate about reforming schools, the students wanted to hear my thoughts about reform that I had extracted from nearly a half-century of experience as teacher, superintendent, and researcher. I offered four lessons. Since I have written about each of these lessons in earlier posts I will compress the lessons and cite the earlier posts for those readers who want more