Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 9, 2011

It’s “Elementary, My Dears” « State of Emergency

It’s “Elementary, My Dears” « State of Emergency

It’s “Elementary, My Dears”

Bay Area teacher Margaret Lavin wrote a great column for the San Mateo County Times yesterday. This quote is from Redwood City School District board member Dennis McBride:

“I think part of the problem is that teachers, administrators and classified staff work so tirelessly to make up for the budget shortfalls that, in some ways, the public does not see the brunt of the problem. Now, if we started to have 150 days of school, then people might wake up. I think it may be the frog story where the heat goes up so slowly that the frog does not know it is boiling. We have cut education in this state for so many years that it is getting impossible to deliver a quality education to our kids. Our teachers and staff do such an amazing job. They are so positive and caring. I know it is hard work and getting harder, but our teachers and staff are the heroes in this whole bad situation.”

Read the full story.