Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Margaret Mead and James Baldwin on Racial Colorblindness « Student Activism

Margaret Mead and James Baldwin on Racial Colorblindness « Student Activism

Margaret Mead and James Baldwin on Racial Colorblindness

I recently finished reading A Rap on Race, the book-length transcript of a conversation between James Baldwin and Margaret Mead, recorded in
the summer of 1970. As I said over the weekend, it’s a fascinating book, and I’m going to be posting excerpts off and on for the next while. I put up the first on Monday — here’s the second, somewhat condensed from the original:

MEAD: This was, I suppose, twenty-five years ago. I was speaking in those days about three things we had to do: appreciate cultural differences, respect political and religious differences, and ignore race. Absolutely ignore race.

BALDWIN: Ignore race. That certainly seemed perfectly sound and true.

MEAD: Yes, but it isn’t anymore. You see, it really isn’t true. This was wrong, because –