Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Last Stand for Children First: Meet Monica Caldwell: Our New East Coast Director of Teacher Development

Last Stand for Children First: Meet Monica Caldwell: Our New East Coast Director of Teacher Development

Meet Monica Caldwell: Our New East Coast Director of Teacher Development


Hello, my name is Monica Caldwell and I am the new East Coast Director of Teacher Development for Last Stand for Children First. What does that huge title mean? Well, basically I'm in charge of helping to improve the quality of instruction by getting good teachers into the classroom and bad teachers out. I believe that nothing is more important to a child's education than having a great teacher and I aim to see that every child on the East Coast has just that.

To tell you a little about myself, I'm 25 years old and I've spent the last year teaching in inner city San Diego as a Last Stand for Children Fellow. Before that, I was spent 2 years managing an Extreme Fitness and Tan and before that I was a philosophy major at the University of Chicago. I enjoy bike riding, Arcade Fire, and Jersey Shore.

This year in San Diego I learned literally a ton about teaching. A lot of my kids were literally growing up on the