Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 6, 2011

Daily Kos: Dear Secretary Duncan

Daily Kos: Dear Secretary Duncan

Dear Secretary Duncan

I'm sorry I have taken so long to respond to your Open Letter to America's Teachers in honor of Teacher Appreciation Week. As a teacher, my highest priority is the needs of my students and until this evening, Friday, I simply could not justify taking the time to respond.

No matter. You have heard forcefully from many teachers, both from the comments on the Department of Education website, and forcefully from two good friends of mine, Teacher Sabrina and Anthony Cody. Let me offer a somewhat different perspective, but one that I warn you will be no less critical. I hope you will remain appreciative enough of teachers - or at least of this teacher - to consider what I have to offer.

Simply put, I read the words in your letter and I look at the policy put forth by your department during your tenure and I have a simple question - are you bi-polar?