Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Did We Learn From the Cathie Black Debacle? - Bridging Differences - Education Week

What Did We Learn From the Cathie Black Debacle? - Bridging Differences - Education Week

What Did We Learn From the Cathie Black Debacle?

Dear Deborah,

What a pleasure to discover we were on the same plane to New Orleans for the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. It gave me a chance to wish you a happy birthday. When I spoke that evening, I asked everyone to congratulate you on your 80th. I told the audience that blogging with Deborah Meier had a big impact on my thinking, and I suggested you should blog with half a dozen other eminent conservative scholars. It will be hard work, but you can do it. That should keep you busy for the next 20 years, and I look forward to toasting your centennial!

In the best of times, education would not be newsworthy, but these are not the best of times. Every day brings bad news about a district closing down public schools or firing teachers or introducing testing for kindergartners. One hardly knows how to keep up with the accumulating attacks on teachers, principals, administrators, and