Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

“Kick-starting collectives:” Blogs and the New Culture of Learning | Connected Principals

“Kick-starting collectives:” Blogs and the New Culture of Learning | Connected Principals

“Kick-starting collectives:” Blogs and the New Culture of Learning



At a conference recently, I was approached and asked for advice about resources for using skype in the classroom to connect with schools in other countries. I started to answer the question with a specific suggestion (the Cool Cat Teacher’s Flat Classroom) when I stopped myself and took another tack in my advice-giving.

Instead, I suggested, I encouraged him to join the online community of educators, to join the network, and to be empowered to learn continuously rather than in discrete lumps.

Teach a man to fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him as long as the fish supply holds out. But create a collective, and every man will learn how to feed himself for a