Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 14, 2011

How (and Why) I Reported My Latest Feature Story - Dana Goldstein

How (and Why) I Reported My Latest Feature Story - Dana Goldstein

How (and Why) I Reported My Latest Feature Story

Over at This Week in Education, Alexander Russo has a critical post about my new feature, "The Test Generation." Alexander is correct to point out that just because some school districts--like the one I profile in the piece, Harrison District 2 in Colorado Springs--are pursuing value-added evaluation of teachers through way more high-pressure standardized testing of kids, it doesn't mean all districts will do so. I acknowledge so much in the piece. But it's important to note that when districts do pursue this strategy, they are doing so partly in response to federal incentives. We need to see how these federal guidelines are playing out on-the-ground in classrooms, because otherwise, we won't know how to guard against the possible unintended consequences of well-intentioned programs like Race to the Top.

I want to address a few other issues Alexander raises in his post:

Did I interivew "too many teachers who wanted to talk to [me], a common mistake in education reporting?" Alexander suggests I somehow sought out teachers with an axe to grind against testing and merit pay. This accusation is simply false. I reported this article with the full cooperation of the Harrision District 2 administration, and I want to commend them for working with me openly and honestly. The vast majority of the