Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daily Kos: I probably shouldn't write this

Daily Kos: I probably shouldn't write this

I probably shouldn't write this

as it is far too personal, but since I am experiencing what many in the middle class are, even though I still have a job, I thought I would at least give a sense of what financial stress is like.

I have in the past mentioned that I have had my pay for this year cut 8,800 - 5,000 in county stipends for being National Board certified, the 2,000 state match on that, and the four furlough days. No COLA or step in increase last year or this (my anniversary date is midyear). Meanwhile some costs keep going up.

We have hit a wall temporarily. Had we been able to get our act together and do our taxes a month ago, and thus have gotten our state refund before having to pay the Feds, there would be no problem - the state refund would cover about 80% of what we owe the Feds and we could get through, especially as this is the month I get