Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Teacher Write

Teacher Write

Why I am Blogging

Recently I had the great pleasure of hearing Dr. Stephen Krashen speak right here in lil’ ol’ Petaluma. I have read Dr. Krashen’s work since the early 1980′s, when I was an English major at San Francisco State University, then again as a teaching credential candidate at Sonoma State University, and again when I studied for my CLAD credential, and always as a teacher who values free-choice reading for students. What an honor to sit

I Have a Dream of Schools that Work

(with gratitude to and reverence for the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Nine years ago, President George W. Bush, in whose symbolic shadow our children now shiver, signed the No Child Left Behind legislation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of children who had been seared in the flames of educational injustice. It promised a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their inferior education.

But nine years later, many children have indeed been left behind. Nine years later, many children’s minds are still sadly crippled by the manacles of under-funded schools and the chains of standardized tests. Nine years