Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Do Good Parents and Good Schools Have in Common?

What Do Good Parents and Good Schools Have in Common?

What Do Good Parents and Good Schools Have in Common?

How to Exercise Authority

Of the 20 schools I visited last fall, two stand out. Any parent would know in the first five minutes of each visit what I knew: I want my child in school A, and I will fight like hell to keep my child out of school B. One was a place of education and one felt like a prison. To protect the innocents (the inmates and their supervisors) I will give these two schools fictitious names: The Learning Academy and BrandX.

In The Learning Academy all kids were on a mission, they seemed lit from within with the joy of learning. In two hours I saw no bored or unhappy student, and they were all engaged in challenging academic work. Each classroom exuded creativity—in every corner of every classroom.

In BrandX I saw three students in the hallway and one in the principal’s office “being disciplined.” The incidence of enthusiasm was so low I had to search for it and never found it. There was a debate at the doorway of one