Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Answer Sheet - Teacher: If I were Bill Gates (here’s how I would help improve the profession)

The Answer Sheet - Teacher: If I were Bill Gates (here’s how I would help improve the profession)

Teacher: If I were Bill Gates (here’s how I would help improve the profession)

This is part of a commentary written by Susan Engel, senior lecturer in psychology and director of the Program in Teaching at Williams College. The full article, originally titled, “What It Takes to Become a Great Teacher,” was published in the Teachers College Record. By Susan Engel If I were Bill Gates (or someone like him) here is what I would do: I would endow several of the best colleges and universities to create a new kind of teacher education program. Entrance to these programs would require good grades from a liberal arts institution (it’s hard to be a good teacher if you yourself are not well educated), a well written and lively essay, and an intensive interview. The goal would be to attract ambitious, smart, thoughtful people, who demonstrate some of the interpersonal qualities essential to good teaching: comfort and ease with others, a genuine love of kids, and