Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 17, 2010

NYC Educator: Hazadous Pursuits

NYC Educator: Hazadous Pursuits

Hazadous Pursuits

I have a girl in my class who's a quick study. At least she's quick. She doesn't get everything right all the time, but she finishes assignments rapidly. She's a pretty good student--I think I gave her a 90 this semester, but she can't wait to finish. Consequently, she looks bored a lot of the time.

The other day, she took out a pair of knitting needles and started making a sweater. I was shocked. I think I've been doing this for 26 years, and I've never seen a high school kid do such a thing. I suppose I labor under the stereotype that knitting is something grandmothers do, and for all I know, her grandmother taught her. But it was one of those