Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lefty Parent 2010 Year in Review | Lefty Parent

Lefty Parent 2010 Year in Review | Lefty Parent

Lefty Parent 2010 Year in Review

As I continue to try and broaden my writing skills I occasionally try my hand at a different sort of content than my typical essay featuring a personal experience that I link to what I see as a broader trend, straight out rant, or a wrestling with ideas I’ve encountered in a book or article I read. Like recently I did a piece trying to capture the zeitgeist of the moment in US education as reflected in a selection of recent articles in Education Week magazine and the Public Education Network weekly e-blast (which was a challenge and tons of work and something I’d do again but not all the time).

Today I’m going to try my hand at another genre of short essay, the end-of-year year-in-review type piece, calling out some highlights or trends from the year past. Given that, I won’t even attempt to be comprehensive, other than scoping my piece on the items from 2010 that I’ll be curious to see play out going forward in 2011 and beyond. Here goes… wish me luck!

The first is health care (or really health insurance) reform. This topic is particularly poignant for me due to my emergency neurosurgery in February (for a sub-dermal hematoma) which, if I had not had health insurance