Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ilana Garon: Teach For America's 'Highly Qualified' Is Highly Misleading

Ilana Garon: Teach For America's 'Highly Qualified' Is Highly Misleading
Ilana Garon

Ilana Garon

Posted: December 29, 2010 12:15 PM

Seven years ago, when I began teaching high school in the Bronx as a NYC Teaching Fellow, I had every expectation of being the next Socrates. I had just completed a rigorous summer training program that I naïvely assumed would give me all the skills I needed to connect with my young charges and open their minds to the lyricism of Robert Frost's poetry or the pathos of Shakespearean tragedy. Through my determination, tenacity, and love of learning, I would not only ensure that my students passed their Regents exams; I would teach them to love English, and by extension, to take the whole of their studies more seriously.

The students had other ideas. My most vivid memory of those first two years involves a group of kids known by their teachers as the "sunshine class." (The kids traveled in blocks, so several teachers had the same group at different points during the day.) That season, the cafeteria served