Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 18, 2010

Resisting Reading First: Another Title I Teacher’s Story � Failing Schools

Resisting Reading First: Another Title I Teacher’s Story � Failing Schools

Resisting Reading First: Another Title I Teacher’s Story

OCTOBER 18, 2010
by Sabrina

Sarah Wagner is a reading instructor who worked as a Title I teacher and Reading Firstcoordinator in her district. My deepest thanks to her for sharing her story, and for standing up for the best interests of children.

My mother was a teacher, her mother was a teacher, and my father served on the local school board for 28 years. So growing up, a typical discussion at our dinner table was teacher salary schedule increments. I don’t remember ever wanting to be anything besides a teacher. I graduated from college and got my first job in 1972. I have worked in every grade K-12, and I have served on the local school board. I stayed home with my four daughters for a few years, and I was very involved in their education. I have a Master’s degree in Elementary Education and a reading teacher license in my state.

In 2004, I took a job as a Title I teacher in a district that was implementing Reading First. I was not part of writing the grant, so I came in with no preconceived ideas. However, I was in on the ground floor of implementation. I spent two years at this building and then went to another