Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: We're all "radicals" now

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: We're all "radicals" now

We're all "radicals" now

Even Cosby & Kenny

Okay, I admit it. I like Bill Cosby. No, I don't like his patronizing speeches aimed at fixing the poor and using a broad brush to denigrate urban hip-hop culture. But he's funny and he grew up like me, in Philly so I can relate to a lot of his growing-up stories. I think his heart is in the right place. He gives lots of badly-needed cash to black colleges and I like what he did in New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

But there's one thing I know for sure, Cosby is no "radical" and certainly not a r-r-r-revolutionary. Neither is Harlem Village Academy founder Deborah Kenny, who did make Oprah's 2010 Power List and who's paying herself a hefty