Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 29, 2010

One Very Disappointing Part Of President Obama’s Speech Today | Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day...

One Very Disappointing Part Of President Obama’s Speech Today | Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day...

One Very Disappointing Part Of President Obama’s Speech Today

President Obama spoke at the Urban League today on education reform. You can read his speech here (and you can read what I had hoped he might say here).
I know the President and Secretary Duncan keep on saying they don’t think charter schools are the answer, only part of the answer, and that they are only talking about “good” charter schools.
Well, the President highlighted one of those supposedly “good” charter schools in his speech. Here is what he said:
So, no, I don’t support all charter schools, but I do support good charter schools. I’ll give you an example.




Do Young People Really Prefer Reading Off Screens?

I know many people love their Kindles, lots are predicting the demise of paper book, and even more are saying the same about traditional newspapers and magazines.
I personally prefer holding the morning paper, an ink-and-paper book, and the feel of a magazine. From what I read and hear, in the future only fuddy duddies of my age (50) and above are going to feel that way.
So, in an entirely unscientific poll, I asked my eighteen-year-old daughter if she would mind asking her frien