Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 30, 2010

Hovering Experts, Oppressive Regimes and Corrupt Evals � Teacher Reality #education

Hovering Experts, Oppressive Regimes and Corrupt Evals � Teacher Reality

Teacher Reality

Reality Check on What's Really Going on in American Education

“Got Rhee? If so, u must demonstrate 22 differ. teaching elements w/i a 30 min. lesson. Effective? Ready…go!http://bit.ly/9zXkFj @TeacherReality on Twitter, June 29, 2010

The comment above is a tweet I posted on Twitter, recently. I decided to expand on it as I wanted to share my experience of having “experts” and administrators hover over me, critiquing my every move…every utterance…every breath as I teach children in a Title I school.

I’ll start with giving you a little bit of information about me. I started teaching over 9 years ago in a Title I middle school in San Diego. I had made a mid-career change from technology sales and marketing to teaching. The move was made purely from the heart. I was tired of chasing money in the corporate world and found that I needed to give, instead of take. So, even with several loans yet to be paid on my MBA degree, I went back into college to learn to be a teacher and obtain a teaching credential. Long story short…I found a job on September 11th, 2001 (what an omen that was and I’ll cover it in a later post), in a Title I middle school teaching Language