Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Racing to Where? � InterACT

Racing to Where? � InterACT

Racing to Where?

This past week was filled with stacks of Scantron forms, No. 2 pencils, and a classroom of very tired and stressed students. It was exam week on our campus for the California Standards Test (CST). For four days I watched my twenty-eight sixth grade Advisory students fidget nervously in their chairs as they answered Math and English Language Arts questions. On the third day of testing, one of my students raised her hand before I passed out the exams and asked with complete sincerity and sixth grade honesty, “Does this test determine my future? Will I flunk out of school if I don’t do well?” I reassured her and her classmates that they were safely part of our school family. “Just do your best,” I said as I read yet again the pre-test script and passed out another round of multiple-choice questions.

After days of exam proctoring, it was fitting that my Friday night included an opportunity to attend a screening of