Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 11, 2010

The Education Report Next on the CA chopping block: opportunity?

The Education Report

Next on the CA chopping block: opportunity?

Girl reading at Highland Childhood Development Center. Photo by Laura Oda/Oakland TribuneBy Katy Murphy
Thursday, June 10th, 2010 at 6:04 pm in budget, families

Yesterday afternoon I visited two East Oakland schools that offer hope, support and opportunity to people who are trying to make it in urban America.
I wish I was out on a feel-good story, but I wasn’t. I went because both schools might close, depending on the priorities set by our state government (and, by extension, the Oakland school district) in the context of a deep fiscal crisis.
The Highland Childhood Development Center and Edward Shands Adult School serve the youngest and the oldest public school students in the city – people under six and over 18.
Age differences aside, Oakland’s adult school and preschool programs bear striking similarities: Both make it possible for people of very modest means to earn degrees, hold jobs and create a better life for themselves and their children.
  • Share/Bookmark
Leave a comment

Andy Kwok says goodbye to Mack, CA and you

By Katy Murphy
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 at 5:32 pm in high schools, small schools, teachers

Andy Kwok, a high school science teacher who let us shadow him during his rookie year (2007-08) at EXCEL High School at McClymonds, is leaving his West Oakland classroom and heading to graduate school at the University of Michigan. -Katy
Andy Kwok, EXCEL High School teacher, in 2009
Salutations readers,
It has officially been three years since first allowing the Tribune access to my initial journey into life as a teacher and all the mistakes that subsequently ensued. Having moved to the Bay Area from the Midwest, I was bright-eyed and idealistic after graduating college. At the time, I didn’t fully comprehend what I had gotten myself into, but in retrospect, I do not regret my experience with the Tribune one bit. I have enjoyed this opportunity to share a glimpse of my life, so that readers would see the difficulties that are present within schools while shedding light on an educational system that will continue to need help.
After three years of teaching, I have made the decision to leave the classroom and attend graduate school at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, my Alma Mater.Read the rest of this entry »