Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 11, 2010

Remarks by the First Lady at Anacostia Senior High School Commencement Ceremony | The White House

Remarks by the First Lady at Anacostia Senior High School Commencement Ceremony | The White House

Remarks by the First Lady at Anacostia Senior High School Commencement Ceremony

DAR Constitution Hall
Washington, D.C.
10:35 A.M. EDT
MRS. OBAMA: Thank you, all. Thank you so much. And first of all, thank you, Charity. Charity did a great job on that introduction. (Applause.) Love you all, too. So proud.
I want to thank the Anacostia Senior High School Choir for their amazing performances. (Applause.) And I also want to thank Brandon, Annie, and of course your valedictorian Jordan for their amazing remarks. Let’s give them a big hand. (Applause.)
I want to acknowledge a couple of other people: Malik Bazzell, Donald Hense, and all of the community leaders who have joined you all today to celebrate this morning. Let’s give them a round of applause. (Applause.)
I have to tell you that it is a privilege for me to be with you. I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. And as you know, this is the second time that I’ve had a chance to come and spend some time with Anacostia High School students.
AUDIENCE MEMBER: Thank you! (Applause.)
MRS. OBAMA: During my first visit with you all when I got to come to the school, I came away just impressed and moved by all of you. That’s why I wanted to be here. I was impressed by the questions you asked, by your work ethic, by your spirit, your attitude. I loved hearing about your lives, and your hopes, and your dreams.
I’ve also enjoyed getting to know my girls, the students who are participating in the White House Mentorship Program that we set up this past year. (Applause.) So all these opportunities have given me a very meaningful connection to many of the amazing students who are at this school and has given me a real appreciation for this community. And I just couldn’t wait to be here in person to say congratulations to the Class of 2010! (Applause.)
I know this has been a long journey to get here, full of warm memories, your friendships and teachers, and maybe not-so-warm memories with rules and papers and tests. And I know for some of you, there may have been times when you weren’t quite sure you’d make it.
But you are here. So I want you all to soak it up. Just soak it up. You’re here! You made it to this day. I want you all graduates to pat yourselves on the back. Do a little patting. I want you to be proud of what you’ve accomplished to get here today, because I know your families are proud of you. Your teachers are proud of you. And I am so proud of you all. I really am.
And looking out at all of you, I’m reminded that many of you have overcome a lot to be here, much like the community of Anacostia itself. Founded back in the 1800s for folks who worked at the Navy Yard across the river, Anacostia eventually became a place where people worked hard as clerks and civil servants, and as teachers and tradesmen, where families looked out for one another, where strong churches were the heart and soul of the community.
And yet, we also know that this community has had its share of struggles. And for a long time, Anacostia was segregated. In its early years, it was even illegal for African Americans to own land in parts of this community. And even after those barriers were torn down, others emerged. Poverty. Violence. Inequality.
But, despite these challenges, Anacostia continues to push forward. And that’s what I admire about this community and what I admire about all of you all. See, in the face of incredible struggles, you refuse to be defined by the hardships or the adversities.
Instead, what defines you is perseverance. What defines you is character. What defines you is the same commitment to education, to hard work, to setting high standards for yourselves that has made this country great.
It’s a commitment reflected in Anacostia alums like Frederick Gregory, who graduated in 1958 from this school, and became the first African American in our history to command a space shuttle.
It’s reflected in the small business owners who’ve opened up furniture stores and theaters in the community, the artists and leaders who have lived in Anacostia throughout the generations, who remain committed to the success of this community.
It’s reflected in a man once called the Sage of Anacostia, lived just a few blocks from this school, in a home called Cedar Hill that I had a chance to take my girls to last summer. It’s a beautiful home.
As all of you know, I’m talking about Frederick Douglass. (Applause.) We remember him today as one of America’s most eloquent and beloved leaders. But I want you all to just think for a moment about what it took