Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 27, 2010

This Week In Education Thompson: My VCR, R.I.P.

This Week In Education

Thompson: My VCR, R.I.P.


Jon-stewartThis may be my last month in our school, so perhaps I saw too much symbolism in the death of my VCR and my fruitless search for another one. I would not mourn the loss of a reliable old tool if I saw students being exposed to PBS.org and NPR.org via digital technology. But I blame the almost complete disappearance of VCRs from our school on the stigmatization of teachers who use video by true believers in top down curriculum alignment. No longer is C-SPAN available in our classrooms. No longer do teachers spark a class discussion with satire from Jon Stewart or


Cartoon: "Hey, Kids! Look! High Definition!"

image from content.cartoonbox.slate.com


Quote: Rhee Describes Herself To Sacto Press Corps

Quotes2"I am someone who does not mince words. I am someone who does not spare feelings. And I am someone who does not pull punches when it comes to doing what is right for kids." -Michelle Rhee (viaSmall Talk)