Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 21, 2010

Make Schools More Like Business? (Part One) � InterACT

Make Schools More Like Business? (Part One) � InterACT

Make Schools More Like Business? (Part One)

Usually, I try to avoid or deflate comparisons between businesses and public schools. There are some fundamental differences that invalidate many comparisons. These differences have to do with the mission, mandates, governance, and moral imperatives that are part of the DNA of public education in ways that are entirely different from private enterprise.
However, in recent months, I’ve grown increasingly interested in some of the writing I see about business, management, and human resources. While the institutions are not entirely comparable, I think that there aresimilarties between schools and businesses when we look at something more basic: how do people work together?
Interestingly enough, I’m finding that some business gurus offer advice about effective management and labor practices that, to my ear, sound quite a bit like the advice of our best educational leaders. I hear plenty of talk