Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 6, 2009

voiceofsandiego.org: Schooled... Guest Blogger: A Day in the Life of School Budget Cuts


voiceofsandiego.org: Schooled... Guest Blogger: A Day in the Life of School Budget Cuts:

"Guest blogger Ashley Hermsmeier is a teacher, runner and writer in her sixth year of teaching English at El Capitan High School in Lakeside. In her blog titled, 'I Run Because I Teach' she discusses the two aspects of life that simultaneously mean the most and frustrate her the most (besides her husband)-- teaching and running.

These are her reflections and opinions, not mine, so if you have burning questions or comments, please contact Ashley via e-mail at amorrow@guhsd.net. Or post a comment here on the blog.
-- EMILY ALPERT

8:02 a.m. Second Period
My students shuffle into the classroom turning off cell phones and stowing iPods in hoodie pockets. As they sit down and begin to unpack their things, I hear pieces of conversations and the occasional cough or sniffle. When I take roll I notice six students are absent. I usually have two empty desks, for a class size of 37, but today the room feels cavernous. I am reminded of the teacher down the hall who doesn’t have enough desks for all her 42 students; I feel lucky to have only 37 students."