Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 6, 2009

Sex education will help gay children | Joseph Galliano | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk


Sex education will help gay children Joseph Galliano Comment is free guardian.co.uk:

Think B4 You Speak.com

"As a gay child, and in common with many gay children, I was terrified for most of my school life. My earliest sexual encounters – which all occurred before the age of consent (21 at that time) – were unsafe and I constantly felt that I could somehow be 'in trouble' for who I was.

If I did receive any sex education that seemed relevant, though appalling to me, it came in the form of an almost annual scandal – the suspension and expulsion of a couple of boys unfortunate enough to be caught in some forbidden clinch. We were either invisible or bullied by our peers and those in authority, denied information about ourselves and denied the right for our sexuality to be just one of the many things that made us who we were.

Of course, this was almost 25 years ago for me and many positive changes have swept through society since then. We have an equal age of consent, anti-hate crime laws and more positive role models. I am deeply heartened that the government has finally done the decent thing and attempted to make proper sex education available to all schoolchildren and that this will now include information about homosexuality and civil partnerships."