Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bad eighth grade math placements--an update - Class Struggle - Jay Mathews on Education


Bad eighth grade math placements--an update - Class Struggle - Jay Mathews on Education:

"A thoughtful reader who signs on as 'raging moderate' (my own self-concept too) asked two good questions about my recent Local Living column on bad timing in placing students in Algebra 1. Here is raging moderate's query, followed by the answer from Brookings Institution scholar Tom Loveless, who supplied me the data.

[Raging moderate first quoted my piece:] 'But Loveless showed that we are also missing students ready for algebra. Among the top 10 percent of eighth-graders, 18 percent are not in algebra or above, and that percentage is 24.6 for top black, Hispanic and low-income students.'

I have two questions, Jay:"