Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

voiceofsandiego.org: Education... My Day as Principal


EMILY ALPERT



voiceofsandiego.org: Education... My Day as Principal:

"Monday, Nov. 9, 2009 I hoofed it up the sidewalk to Bell Middle School in my heels, alongside preteens in maroon and navy polos. 'Plenty of time. Plenty of time,' the vice principal reassured us as we poured into the school, a vast spread of tile and stucco atop a hill that faces a dark, distant wash of mountains.

There are more than 1,100 students at Bell, a diverse school in the southeastern corner of San Diego Unified where roughly two-thirds of students are poor enough to eat lunch for free.

And I was in charge for a day.

I had been tapped for Principal for a Day, an event that aims to bring business and community leaders into schools to better understand the work of principals. I was hoping I might actually make decisions in that day -- not just tag along."