Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 5, 2009

MorganHillTimes.com | Reflecting on one who gave her life to education


MorganHillTimes.com Reflecting on one who gave her life to education:

"It was with sadness that I learned of the passing last week of Phyllis Thomas, and with fondness that I recalled my interactions with her. Mrs. Thomas was my high school counselor, and in that capacity she met with me on numerous occasions - to review my course selections, provide advice, change my schedule when I felt I had been misplaced in a class, make sure I was signed up for the SAT test and knew of college application deadlines and scholarship availability, and to write a letter of recommendation to the University of California, Berkeley.

It was only years later, after I had graduated and started teaching, that I learned she had attended Cal herself. Even then, the discussion was not about her but rather about her belief that it is important to give back to the community that has nurtured you, and about donating to one's alma mater. (I guess she was still counseling; like teaching, it is a lifelong behavior.)"